Licensing: dual licenses - icons

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 12 09:01:14 UTC 2007

Hello there,

My package kmenu-gnome entails some icons taken from right to left by
upstream. Upstream uses a dual license. I've changed the license from
GPL/LGPL to LGPLv2 on the last rebuild.

However I'm not sure that the icons taken from GPL'd packages may be
relicensed under the LGPL.  Althouh §3 of the LGPL allows relicensing
LGPL-licensed code or data under the LGPL, I have not found such
permission in the GPL.  Or, perhaps, simple data files like icons are
not treated as binary executables and the difference between GPL/LGPL
does not matter?

As on the wiki page: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing, the 2
matrices refer to :
* code and
* libraries.
As for icons/artwork, what will the matrices proposed?

Shall I revert to the old dual license of GPL/LGPL, use the more
lenient LGPL since the package does not contain binary executables, or
unify its license under the GPL, a move permited by §3 of the LGPL?

regards,
Chitlesh
--
http://clunixchit.blogspot.com