Licensing: dual licenses - icons

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 12 09:15:50 UTC 2007

Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> My package kmenu-gnome entails some icons taken from right to left by
> upstream.

Right to left as in random places? If so upstream needs to verify the
licenses of these icons carefully.

Upstream uses a dual license. I've changed the license from
> GPL/LGPL to LGPLv2 on the last rebuild.

You are not allowed to change the license of a package. However when you
distribute software which is dual licensed, you are allowed to
distribute under any one of those license if you wish to do so.

> However I'm not sure that the icons taken from GPL'd packages may be
> relicensed under the LGPL.

It does not. However the other way around is possible.  What problem are
you trying to solve?

Rahul