Announcing rpmfusion

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Wed Sep 12 13:20:36 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>
>> Seriously though, this is just plain dumb wrong:
>>
>> If we cannot include the packages in our own repositories but we can
>> point to other repositories that do have the packages, nothing
>> prevents us from distributing the appropriate /etc/yum.repos.d/ files
>> in the fedora-release package.
>
> This is again different from including the packages. The details are
> important from a legal perspective.

Sure it is different from including the packages ourselves, that wasn't
the point. My point is, that if we can refer to anything, we might as
well include the configuration files for those third party repositories
that hold the packages we can't ship/include.

In other words: there's no difference in being allowed to link to
anything and actually shipping the link in that very package.

Functionally, the effects of the latter actually isn't anything
different from shipping the packages from a host set up on the other
side of the pond.

>> So, I'll back up Jesse's question:
>>  >> And really, if we could reference it, then why the crap couldn't we
>>  >> just package it in our repo?

This time, substitute "our repo" for:

"some repo being 'ours' -though not really /ours/- (but replicated over
non-US mirrors only?)".

Next reply I'll send you a regex.

> Same answer.

Can't be.

  Go and read the Fedora Advisory Board list threads which

--
Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip