Announcing rpmfusion

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Wed Sep 12 13:45:19 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-12 at 13:31 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Bill Crawford wrote:
> > On 12/09/2007, Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:
> >> yum install gstreamer-plugins-bad
>
> >> This will install the mp3 codec along with a bunch of other 'bad'
> >> codecs.
> >
> > Quite. Again, it would be nice to be able to install *the plugin that's wanted*.
> >
> > And *only* the plugin that's wanted.
>
> Balance this with the convenience, useful for most users, to not have to
> hunt for codecs/plugins, install one package and be sure the multimedia
> playing troubles are solved.

The Right Way(TM) (IMHO) to do that is to have a system that will 1)
find the name of the correct plugin to handle the multimedia file from a
directory, and 2) yum install it on-the-fly. Remember that formats and
plugins are popping up left and right. Some are encompassing, some are
more esoteric. You'll either be forced to keep updating the
one-package-to-rule-them-all file everytime something new comes up, or
you have the automated system I just mentioned. You can't have one big
package for all the plugins that you can enable at one time and have the
users hunt manually for the others as they come up.

Besides, it's also possible to create a virtual package (say:
gstreamer-plugins-audio ... to illustrate that we do not need to follow
the upstream packaging scheme. They have their reasons for packaging
things -good, -bad, -base and -ugly and they MIGHT not coincide with the
needs of our users) and have that virtual package pull in the individual
plugin packages. IF they really wanted the world.
--

Richi Plana