Disable IPv6 by default.

Christopher Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 14:24:55 UTC 2007

On 13/09/2007, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at hi.is> wrote:

> Let's disable IPv6 by default and let the user enable it.

No, lets not. Users don't have to care about IPv6.

Which means if not enabled, all service's and configuration should be
> clean of IPv6 entry's
> until enabled.

So lets revert a few years of software development then.

The WorldWideWeb is far from switching to IPv6.

Really?

Institutions/company's wont spent $$$ in buying expensive IPv6 or dual
> capable IPv4/IPv6 Hardware
> unless they are forced to do due so...

Or the equipment that is produced comes with IPv6 capability by default to
give the hardware folks a reason to sell more hardware.

I don't know the strategy behind this  decision  from the beginning?

The world is running out of IPv4 addresses and NAT is a stop-gap that breaks
things. Plus other nice things like QOS.

( maybe publicity  stunt  or to show the world we could  )
> Yeah, weee, the crowd goes wild *applause applause*

Yep, you got it. _That's_ the reason it is being implemented.

</sarcasm>

Throw the dice and see if you make the reality check..

Let's turn it of by default and reconsider it after 3 - 5 years or later

Hell, let's just stop progress altogether. We've landed on the moon after
all. There's nothing left to do is there?

Seriously, can I ask what has prompted this or is it just a slow day at the
office?

Cheers
Chris

--