Disable IPv6 by default.

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Thu Sep 13 15:00:11 UTC 2007

Christopher Brown wrote:
> On 13/09/2007, *"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"* <johannbg at hi.is
> <mailto:johannbg at hi.is>> wrote:
>
>     Let's disable IPv6 by default and let the user enable it.
>

> No, lets not. Users don't have to care about IPv6.

True but in case they want and care to disable IPv6 ( or visa versa )
Services and config files should stickt to either one not both. Unless
user choose not
not "care". ( services listening to IPv6 when IPv6 is not enabled? )

>     Which means if not enabled, all service's and configuration should be
>     clean of IPv6 entry's
>     until enabled.
>

> So lets revert a few years of software development then.

If that actually what it takes to do make it listen to eithver IPv6 or
visa versa then yes..

>     The WorldWideWeb is far from switching to IPv6.
>

> Really?

Let me refrase that the people that are running the hardware behing the
WWW are not IPv6 ready
atleast the majority of them, thou protocols and standards are ( mostly )

>     Institutions/company's wont spent $$$ in buying expensive IPv6 or
>     dual
>     capable IPv4/IPv6 Hardware
>     unless they are forced to do due so...
>

> Or the equipment that is produced comes with IPv6 capability by
> default to give the hardware folks a reason to sell more hardware.
>
>     I don't know the strategy behind this  decision  from the beginning?
>

> The world is running out of IPv4 addresses and NAT is a stop-gap that
> breaks things. Plus other nice things like QOS.
>
>     ( maybe publicity  stunt  or to show the world we could  )
>     Yeah, weee, the crowd goes wild *applause applause*
>

> Yep, you got it. _That's_ the reason it is being implemented.
>
> </sarcasm>
>
>     Throw the dice and see if you make the reality check..
>

>     Let's turn it of by default and reconsider it after 3 - 5 years or
>     later
>

> Hell, let's just stop progress altogether. We've landed on the moon
> after all. There's nothing left to do is there?
>
> Seriously, can I ask what has prompted this or is it just a slow day
> at the office?

If I choose to disable something, it should be disabled and those thing
related to it.

> Cheers
> Chris
>
> --
> http://www.chruz.com
Best regards
             Johann B.

--

Johann B. Gudmundsson. RHCE,CCSA
Unix System Engineer.
Taeknigardi, Dunhaga 5.			Email:		johannbg at hi.is
IS-107 Reykjavik.			Phone:		+354-525-4267
Iceland.				  Fax:		+354-552-8801