rawhide report: 20070912 changes

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Sep 13 15:08:52 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 08:42 -0600, Richi Plana wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 11:26 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > > This is a valid technical reason, the ones you gave before aren't.
> > Yes, I didn't mention them, because I respected to upstream's decision
> > not to ship *.pc's.
>
> ... And this is why. Ralf, all you did was explain why you're doing what
> you're doing (and not even going into the details and the rationale).

This whole thing has a long history, so let me reiterate it one final
time:

* OSG1 upstream had shipped *.pcs. This had let applications caused to
rely on them being present.
* OSG has decided to abandoned *.pcs with OSG2. This causes applications
to break. Working around this reveal bugs in applications.

I decided to follow upstream and not to re-add a proprietary isolated
"wanna-be solution" like Debian does.

> However, you didn't really offer a solution to Chris (or Kevin) that
> would appeal to their technical skills and know-how.
What more than offering Chris to help him in person to bring his
packages to compile can I offer?

What he did was to take out a gun, aim at my head and yell
"Arse, you add them package config files immediately or I'll shoot"

He preferred to pull the trigger.

> If upstream decided to do things the way they did, they must be
> satisfying a requirement, need or want that they have. How does that
> translate to the Fedora related package packager's needs?
Upstream released a new MAJOR release - This broke applications. This is
expected to happen, maintainer either get their things functional or
retire these packages.

>  What would the
> alternative to pkgconfig .pc files then be?
Passing CFLAGS and LIBS from the command line, like with any other
package on this planet.

Ralf