Disable IPv6 by default.

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Fri Sep 14 12:18:11 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 18:41 -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 12:38:04AM +0200, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 22:12 +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> > > It circumenvents iptables rules.
> >
> > IPv6 doesn't 'circumvent' iptables rules any more than IPv4
> > 'circumvents' ip6tables rules.
> >
> > Besides, http://www.advogato.org/person/dwmw2/diary/164.html
>
> +1.  Firewalls just break connectivity and are a handicap that enables
> people to be lazy about system security.  And don't get me started on
> NAT :-)

-1. Firewalls are a mandatory access control system like SELinux. Their
purpose is to prevent (certain kinds of) connectivity outside of the
services they are shielding. You can easily log blocked connection
attempts.

Following your argument, one could say that "SELinux just breaks
functionality and is a handicap that enables developers to be lazy about
system security". Which it isn't. Both are additional lines of defense.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759