Disable IPv6 by default.

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Fri Sep 14 16:13:19 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 14:18 +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> -1. Firewalls are a mandatory access control system like SELinux. Their
> purpose is to prevent (certain kinds of) connectivity outside of the
> services they are shielding. You can easily log blocked connection
> attempts.

Think laterally, gentlepeople. Firewalls have their uses that go beyond
protecting poorly written software. On my system, I have a dynamic
firewall management system that DROPs packets from known spam sites. I
would rather not have the bandwidth I'm paying for wasted. Thank you
very much.

As well, I use firewalls to limit the repeated number of SSH connections
from IPs on the Internet.

Those are the unwelcome packets I can safely surmise. I don't use IPv6
and I'm certainly thankful that with it disabled, I don't have to set up
an ip6tables to drop all packets since I'm not sure where they're going,
and I am definitely sure I'm not expecting any IPv6 traffic.
--

Richi Plana