Fwd: Graphical Shutdown

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Sat Sep 15 16:55:02 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 13:18 +0100, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Not sure if this is the relevant list, but...is there any possibility
> of F8 having a graphical shutdown? Perhaps even just a non-verbose
> shutdown mode? It's just my humble opinion, but I find it looks ugly
> and breaks the experience a bit...

If I were to guess at people's responses ...

The crowd who wanted an all-text startup complete with kernel messages
for debugging purposes would probably say "breaks what experience? It's
a shutdown. By definition, the experience should be over"

People who believe in symmetry or consistency would probably argue for a
similar setup to the graphical start-up procedure (since services
shutting down also give out similar status results).

My questions: 1) What would it take to use rhgb for shutdown? Is it just
a matter of executing /usr/bin/rhgb as in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit upon
shutting down? The messages in rhgb startup seem generic enough (no
mention of "Starting up..")

2) How exactly does /sbin/shutdown work, anyway? I'm familiar with how
the startup scripts get called by init on startup (via sysinit
-> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit), but I've never figured out how it gets started
on shutdown.

Slightly related topic ... well, alright, off-topic. 3) Is there going
to be a move by Fedora to something other/better than SysVInit?
--

Richi Plana