Fwd: Graphical Shutdown

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Mon Sep 17 13:50:53 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 13:18 +0100, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Not sure if this is the relevant list, but...is there any possibility
> of F8 having a graphical shutdown? Perhaps even just a non-verbose
> shutdown mode? It's just my humble opinion, but I find it looks ugly
> and breaks the experience a bit...

We (Red Hat) haven't looked into that yet.  It's certainly a fine idea
though.

My mental model of this is that the X session just stays up until the
computer actually halts, since it's not like the X server maintains any
state that needs to get flushed to disk.  You might terminate all the
other clients besides the session leader, and then throw up some
animation so the user knows things are happening.

But that's just a guess.  It would take some design first to make sure
we think through the interactions.  At this stage of F8 it might be too
late to fold this in before release, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't
work on it.

- ajax