Useless OpenEXR split

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Mon Sep 17 16:38:31 UTC 2007

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:23:23 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:

> Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
> > Why does the -libs package require these tools?
> > The .spec doesn't answer that question.
> >
> > In the other direction, there's a hardcoded strict dependency in
> > addition to the automatic soname deps, creating a circle:
> >
> > $ rpm -qR OpenEXR|grep EXR
> > OpenEXR-libs = 1.4.0a-5.fc8
> >
> > Conclusively, the split is useless.
>
> It's cleaner wrt multilib, ie no OpenEXR.i386 in x86_64 repo.
>
> (same goes for jasper).

You didn't answer the question. Why does the -libs package require the
tools? Do the libraries need the tools?!

I see that the OpenEXR-libs.i386 "Requires: OpenEXR = ..." is
satisfied by OpenEXR.x86_64, but why the dependency? What do you
find "clean" about it? WRT multi-lib, it would also work to
have just -devel requires -libs and be done.

Just because of the dependency on the main package, optional example
programs are installed and cannot be removed.