Fwd: Graphical Shutdown

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Mon Sep 17 18:12:05 UTC 2007

> I was thinking about this over the weekend.  We have "shutdown"
> sections in services so that you can restart a service while running,
> however we don't necessarily have to "shut down" the services when we
> shut down the system.

I'm a little confused. I occasionally shut down running services on a
running system without necessarily starting them up immediately or ever
after (like NFS when I'm done sharing things or tomcat5 when I'm just
debugging). I thought that there was also a "shutdown" option in
services to allow people to script proper and clean shutdown sequences
for services (like saving state for databases and ALSA sound system).

If we don't necessarily have to "shut down" the service when shutting
down, do you mean that services should just do the proper thing when
sent the appropriate signal(7)? Like a uniform way of being signalled to
shut down? (an analogy would be destructors in OOP)
--

Richi Plana