Can Name=GenericName go away now, please?

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Mon Sep 17 18:52:44 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 09:05 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> In particular, can we/fedora consider using better menu names now, so
> users know which apps are really behind some generic (and mysterious?)
> items in menus(1).

You know, I can't help but agreeing that the presented names need to be
improved somehow. I keep stumbling over the ambiguity over and over
again in various situations. The menus are one thing, but they're also
presented in other things like right-clicking a nautilus icon and
choosing an "Open With <generic-name>" option. On several occasions,
I've accidentally or without thinking clicked on the wrong application
option. Even though I've trained myself to "slow down" and try to find
the right option because it's not readily presented, I inadvertently
click on the wrong selection.

Luckily it hasn't resulted in catastrophic results (clicking the wrong
option doesn't result in deleted files or anything like that), but it's
certainly irritating on slow machines to wait for a process to finish
starting up before I can shut it down.

And at that point in time when I feel irritated, I just can't help but
wish that the menu option was clearer to begin with. In the course of a
working day, I get up to speed and start doing things one after the
other like it was second-nature to me (kind of like touch-typing) only
to get tripped up by ambiguous options. For instance, looking at my
Applications -> Sound & Video menu, it only takes me a fraction of a
second to realize whether an application is relevant to my current
context when I see the application name. Seeing two "Movie Player"
options makes me pause and try to figure out which is which.

Can't we do something like "<action> <language-specific-preposition>
<application>" (ie. "Play Multimedia with Totem", "View Graphical Images
with gimp", "Edit Graphical Images with gimp" or whatever the sequence
is in other languages). Or perhaps "<action> (<application>)" like "Play
Movies (Totem)"
--

Richi Plana