Fwd: Graphical Shutdown

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Mon Sep 17 19:04:00 UTC 2007

> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:12:05 -0600
> Richi Plana <myfedora at richip.dhs.org> wrote:
>
> > If we don't necessarily have to "shut down" the service when shutting
> > down, do you mean that services should just do the proper thing when
> > sent the appropriate signal(7)? Like a uniform way of being signalled
> > to shut down? (an analogy would be destructors in OOP)
>
> Many of the services just simply kill the pid.  The final part of a
> system shutdown would take care of that.  The added time to run the
> service script and source all the functions and display words to the
> screen is just needless overhead.

Oh, so it's not the process by which services are shutdown that's at
question but the implementation.

Are there use-cases where feedback on service shutdown would be desired?
It seems that if there were, a couple of lines of text would be
minimalist.

If sourcing shells and scripts has become a sticky point, then perhaps
that functionality should be included in init. Which sort of brings up
the topic of evaluating current init replacements (or, better yet, an
init, changerunlevel, shutdown system).
--

Richi Plana