Fwd: Graphical Shutdown

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Mon Sep 17 19:25:18 UTC 2007

> Richi Plana (myfedora at richip.dhs.org) said:
> > On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 14:38 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > > Not quite that simple. S00killall will still stop started services on shutdown;
> > > moreover, you probably still want kill scripts in runlevel 1.
> >
> > How does the current flat setup handle possibly different
> > shutdown-startup sequences for going to different runlevels?
>
> Not sure what you mean by this. It's pretty simple:
>
> - run all KXX scripts, in order
> - run all SXX scripts, in order
>
> > Do scripts
> > go through the same shutdown sequence going from runlevel 5 to runlevel
> > 6 as it does to runlevel 3 or 1?
>
> If they're set up to be killed in both, yes.

Yes, that's what I wanted to know with both questions: if the current
system is smart enough to know which services to shut down and what not
to when changing runlevels. Just by looking at the contents
of /etc/rc<RL>.d/, it just seems so flat (no hierarchy info) that it's
possible to think that the system might actually be shutting down all
services and restarting them in the new run-level.

Which script handles this? I'm curious to know. I've only been able to
trace the startup scripts but get lost when tracing init(8).
--

Richi Plana