Fwd: Graphical Shutdown

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 20:50:15 UTC 2007

On 9/17/07, Adam Jackson <ajackson at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 13:18 +0100, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> > Not sure if this is the relevant list, but...is there any possibility
> > of F8 having a graphical shutdown? Perhaps even just a non-verbose
> > shutdown mode? It's just my humble opinion, but I find it looks ugly
> > and breaks the experience a bit...
>
> We (Red Hat) haven't looked into that yet.  It's certainly a fine idea
> though.
>
> My mental model of this is that the X session just stays up until the
> computer actually halts, since it's not like the X server maintains any
> state that needs to get flushed to disk.  You might terminate all the
> other clients besides the session leader, and then throw up some
> animation so the user knows things are happening.
>
> But that's just a guess.  It would take some design first to make sure
> we think through the interactions.  At this stage of F8 it might be too
> late to fold this in before release, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't
> work on it.

Using my early-gdm scripts, X and gdm are already running their
sockets from a tmpfs.  It would be trivial to reverse what I do on
bootup for shutdown and unmount everything from underneath X and gdm.
When the machine completely shutsdown *poof* tmpfs is gone and there
are no ugly sockets or temp files left to cleanup on boot.

I have been playing with this on the side to allow filesystems to do
their maintenance fsck's on shutdown instead of bootup.  This gives
you more control over whether you have the time to wait on the
maintenance or not.

Jon