jasper (was: Re: Useless OpenEXR split)

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Tue Sep 18 12:00:52 UTC 2007

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:18:26 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:

> Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
> >> It's unclear (to me anyway) whether these truly are optional or not, ie,
> >> I have yet to determine here (or in the jasper case) whether apps assume
> >> the
> >> presence tools/binaries.  In short, I'm playing it safe, and keeping the
> >> same behavior as when there wasn't a -libs split.
> >
> > For jasper, the executables are _example programs_. RTFM confirms that.
>
> I've found at least one example (kopete?) where it assumes the presence of
> the jasper binary.

kopete in kdenetwork looks for a "jasper" executable, but is not
linked to libjasper. It displays an error dialog if a jasper executable
cannot be found.

  kopete/protocols/yahoo/yahoocontact.cpp
  kopete/protocols/yahoo/yahoowebcam.cpp
  kopete/protocols/yahoo/libkyahoo/webcamtask.cpp

netpbm builds with an internal copy of libjasper. :)
(jpeg2ktopam and pamtojpeg2k from netpbm-progs)