Where is Alexander Larsson (Nautilus bug)?

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Tue Sep 18 17:23:06 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 10:59 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > The bug was filed on 2007-06-08 (over 3 months ago) by J H Ettle and
> > added my +1 to it on 2007-08-29.  Is Alexander missing?  Is there a
> > co-maintainer who should be available?
>
> I don't know what help a co-maintainer for fedora would do. What we need
> are more people to look at bugs, come up with patches that fix them and
> post them upstream, where I can review and commit them. This will then
> instantly come back to fedora (beacuse we track upstream closely).
>
> Unfortunately, not many people seem interested in doing this work. :(

Either that or bugzilla needs a better way to allocate tasks.

Having worked as a software developer for quite some time, I know how
many developers would rather just work on a problem rather than try to
validate bug reports and gather missing information. Personally, I would
rather work on bugs that either interest me really well, or are provided
in a format that allows me to work on the problem immediately.

Unfortunately, qualifying bug reports (finding dupes, going back to the
reporter for missing information) can only be done by people who know
exactly what real problems are and what's needed to resolve them.

I know this is something that requires discipline and structure ...
something that doesn't always go hand-in-hand with the nature of
volunteer work, but it's something that has to be addressed in order for
bugs to be proactively addressed (rather than wait for someone to bring
it up on a mailing list). As FOSS endeavors grow (and the number of
users increase), there's got to be ways to improve on volunteer
bug-fixing.

Any ideas?

I've always wondered if the assignment of tasks can be round-robin'd (or
pick some better way of scheduling tasks that's completely and really
fair, ;) ) assuming we had a couple of more volunteers.
--

Richi Plana