Is xulrunner going to remove firefox in tomorrow's rawhide?

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Tue Sep 18 21:54:59 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 23:20 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> I noticed, xulrunner was successfully built for devel (finally), but I
> see there one issue - it obsoletes firefox < 2.1 but it does not supply
> it's functionality (unless you use only the libraries, like in epiphany,
> liferea, etc.). If I understand it correctly it means that tomorrow's
> rawhide will have a lot of dependency problems (new gecko-libs and
> removal of firefox) and on systems that don't have any packages
> dependent on firefox or gecko-libs even a removal of firefox. This isn't
> intended, is it? Or do you have already prepared firefox 3 (still alpha)
> for rawhide? An easy solution to this, IMHO, would be removal of the
> obsolete from xulrunner and removal of the gre(64).conf file from
> firefox package (it clashes with xulrunner's).

My understanding of this matter is that anything which depends on Gecko
should be depending on gecko-devel (at build-time) and/or gecko-libs (at
run-time).

These virtuals are provided by both the Firefox and XULrunner packages,
and therefore should allow smoothly upgrading from the former to the
latter.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
  DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479