Can Name=GenericName go away now, please?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Sep 19 06:34:09 UTC 2007

On 19.09.2007 08:16, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 15:05 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>> On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 12:52 -0600, Richi Plana wrote:
>>> Can't we do something like "<action> <language-specific-preposition>
>>> <application>" (ie. "Play Multimedia with Totem", "View Graphical Images
>>> with gimp", "Edit Graphical Images with gimp" or whatever the sequence
>>> is in other languages). Or perhaps "<action> (<application>)" like "Play
>>> Movies (Totem)"
>> Any such attempts are broken i18n-wise. The only thing that works for
>> translation is complete strings.
> I felt that I should maybe write down how I think this can be addressed.
>
> Changing translations is something that needs to happen upstream, and
> needs to have buy-in. The most realistic plan of attack, imo is to add a
> new field, e.g
>
> DescriptiveName
>
> and define that the value can contain placeholders for the name and
> generic name.
> Then we can add
>
> DescriptiveName=%N - %G
>
> or similar, which will work for a good number of locales, and still
> allow
>
> DescriptiveName[de]=Donnervogel, bringt die Post
>
> to override on a per-locale basis.
>
> As you can see, this requires a desktop entry spec addition, unless you
> want to go X-Fedora-, which I wouldn't recommend.
>
> Also, it may need gnome-menus api additions. In any case, this is not F8
> material.

In addition: wouldn't it make sense to display the DescriptiveName
normally if just one app of that kind is installed? E.g. if just
Evolution was installed -> you just find "E-Mail-Client" in your menu.
If both Thunderbird and Evo are installed display "Evolution
(E-Mail-Client) " and "Thunderbird (E-Mail-Client)" or something like that?

Just my 2 cent.

CU
knird