Goal: Increased Modularity?

Alexander Boström abo at kth.se
Wed Sep 19 08:45:56 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 08:15 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> It's just annoying that the
> packaged location is different from what Sun uses in their RPM version
> and Sun should be somewhat of an authority on matters pertaining to java

Sun is certainly no authority on how Fedora should build rpms or how
GNU/Linux systems should organise directories. But the nice thing is,
they're now sort of following the JPackage conventions in their official
Java 1.6 RPM:s, so no need for JPackage rpms. Just run their install
script (which they confusingly call a self-extracting archive), and you
get some rpms installed which interact nicely with alternatives.

> - and even more annoying that in this long chain of questions I still
> don't have the simple answer of where JAVA_HOME has been hidden for some
> small variety of JVMs.

Uhm... They're all very consistently placed in /usr/lib/jvm, each
directory there is a JAVA_HOME. I wouldn't call that hidden. It's a nice
scheme. And Richi Plana pointed out how to set JAVA_HOME already...

/abo