Root login in rawhide and display managers

Christopher Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 12:39:30 UTC 2007

On 19/09/2007, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 08:05:25AM -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > What's the rationale (again?) for disabling root login?
> > I assume its to make sure that if your LDAP or NIS services fail you
> > are totally screwed and cannot rescue the machine.
>
> Proposed alternative: enable root logins, but customize the default root
> GUI environment so it is a clear and simple rescue/configuration
> workspace,
> not just another user's desktop.
>
> At BU, we've been doing this for a long time -- you get
> system-config-users
> and a terminal window and that's it.

Or we could actually leave the user in control of the system and allow them
to nuke it if they want to. Give them enough rope and all that. I recall
that one system used to place a black bomb image in each corner of the
desktop and use a big red desktop background.

Cheers
Chris

--
http://www.chruz.com