Root login in rawhide and display managers

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Sep 19 13:58:00 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 09:42:35AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> Alan, we are trying to improve the experience for the specific
> audience of artists, developers and the like who download the Desktop
> Live image from the web site and want to install it on a laptop or
> home PC.  No one is saying that all these changes are applicable to
> every situation in which Linux is used.

I appreciate that, but its often being done in a way that is so narrow
minded you could see stereo through a keyhole.

> No one is advocating taking away the old style Linux installation (the
> Fedora "choose your own adventure" DVD).

And my violent objection would be to forcing the creation of a local user
account IFF the user has not selected any remote authentication scheme. If
I've not ticked any of ldap, nis, .. etc then its a very good idea to be
extremely clear to the user that they want a non root account.

Alan