Root login in rawhide and display managers

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Wed Sep 19 14:41:34 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 10:04 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> As the desktop spin is designed for home users on laptops, I don't
> think it should offer remote authentication as an option during
> installation at all, so there is no failure scenario here.  For people
> who want to set up labs of Fedora desktop machines - that's what the
> DVD and kickstart files are for.

Desktop != home users. If anything, home users are just a subset of
desktop users. Besides, with the trend in today's houses is towards
networking all equipment, it's not unheard of for mom to log in on the
kitchen computer to view her recipes.

At my place, all the Desktops (that's laptops as well as desktops) were
configured to authenticate from a central server.

Going back to the install option, it does make sense to make "local
account setup" and "network authentication" an OR proposal (at least one
has to be configured but the other would be optional).
--

Richi Plana