Wireless and D-Bus problems with latest rawhide?

bloch at verdurin.com bloch at verdurin.com
Wed Sep 19 20:46:23 UTC 2007

With the latest batch of rawhide updates (kernel-2.6.23-0.185.rc6.git7.fc8
etc.) there seems to be something wrong with D-Bus and/or HAL.  The
brightness applet reports that it can't connect to gnome-power-manager and
the NetworkManager applet doesn't appear.

I restarted HAL and D-Bus and eventually the NM applet appeared but it
would not connect to my network:

Sep 19 21:23:36 vaio NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) failed.

Upon rebooting to the 2.6.23-0.184.rc6.git4.fc8 kernel, I had the same
symptoms and had to restart the same services, but I was able to connect
to the network.

The wireless hardware is ipw3945, though I'm not sure whether this is a
kernel problem or a problem with other packages.