Root login in rawhide and display managers

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 21:06:57 UTC 2007

on 9/19/2007 4:29 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 20:18 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Matthias Clasen <mclasen <at> redhat.com> writes:
>>> Yeah, but then you don't walk away from your root session expecting the
>>> screensaver to kick in - which it doesn't for root.
>> Then fix that GNOME bug instead of hiding it. Screensavers and desktop locking
>> for root work just fine in KDE.
>
> And I assume that KDE users are just happy to run tons of unaudited
> toolkit code as root...
>
> Anyway, its a moot point, we'll re-enable root login for test3.

I have watched this thread since the beginning and I can no longer keep my
peace.

A knowledgeable Linux user would know how to change this default. Or
figure out how to change. I know how and I am certainly not on the level
of many here.

A 'not so knowledgeable Linux user' would use the 'enter Roots password'
windows to preform these tasks.

Any user that can not do either of these things *does not* have any
business logging in as root in a GUI. Period.

Or do you want Fedora 8 to be like Windows? Where 'run as root' is the
default for the 'not so knowledgeable Windows user'? You want them to be
able to shoot themselves in the foot?

I hope not.

Want to use Linux, be a Linux Geek, so to speak? Learn a little more about
it first. More than downloading an ISO and burning it it Windows. I did
that years ago. How about you?

--

  David