Root login in rawhide and display managers

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 21:33:13 UTC 2007

on 9/19/2007 5:12 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
> On 9/19/07, David Boles <dgboles at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Or do you want Fedora 8 to be like Windows? Where 'run as root' is the
>> default for the 'not so knowledgeable Windows user'?
>
> It is not the default.  You have to actively work to arrive at the
> situation, ignoring a warning dialog.
>
> It is not worth developer time at this stage to improve the warnings,
> create a special X session, etc.
>
> It will be fixed correctly for F9.

I do not think that you understood me. I do *not* think that what many are
arguing for here, GUI root logins as a default 'on' feature, is a good
idea for the average new user. Those that have enough experience can
change it, if they want to do that.

You developers are much too busy to see what those of us that follow the
fedora-user list see every day. Many are trying very hard to make a
working system and to learn Linux but most are true Newbies that need to
be somewhat protected from themselves until they learn a little about
Linux. If not they will be as open to 'attack' as most Windows users.

--

  David