man page symlinks on symlinked binary

Martin Marques martin at bugs.unl.edu.ar
Wed Sep 19 23:39:59 UTC 2007

Lamont Peterson escribió:

> My suggestion was to not create a symlink to, or a copy of, the wodim(1) man page in order to make "man cdrecord" work again, but to instead create a bona-fide cdrecord(1) man page with content such as "This isn't the command you want, anymore.  You now want wodim(1)".

Let's see if I can get my ideas out. :-)

There is no cdrecord, and won't be any in future versions of Fedora.
What there is is a symlink to wodim, just because wodim is a fork of
cdrecord.

If I do man cdrecord and end up seeing the wodim man page, I would first
nod my head, and then say "what's this wodim?" (maybe even ask a fellow
linux friend) and then read the man.

To end this: why create a man page for something that doesn't exist, and
maybe in a future version of fedora not even the symlink will be left
(maybe yes, maybe not).

My opinion, link the manuals, and the info pages if they exist.