Root login in rawhide and display managers

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 03:42:06 UTC 2007

on 9/19/2007 5:43 PM, Richi Plana wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 17:06 -0400, David Boles wrote:
>> Want to use Linux, be a Linux Geek, so to speak? Learn a little more about
>> it first. More than downloading an ISO and burning it it Windows. I did
>> that years ago. How about you?
>
> Now that's not a nice mentality.
>
> I'm a self-professed computer geek, but it's my opinion that a person
> should be good at what they aim to accomplish. If they mean to write a
> great essay on a wordprocessor on Linux, then they don't need to be
> proficient with Linux. Just writing. OTOH, if you want to be a Linux
> machines system administrator, then that person should damn well know
> what the heck is going on under the hood of their machine (as opposed to
> just button-clicking). Even with grammar-correction, writers should know
> well the rules of grammar.
>
> The beauty in Linux is that as the software matures, people find
> themselves being more productive in whatever goal they set themselves
> out to use a computer for. Hopefully, it might even allow them to be
> creative about it in ways that weren't open to them before using Linux.
> (That's how I got hooked on code reusability and the Unix philosophy.)

I did *not* say that you needed to be a 'geek' to use Linux for common
everyday tasks. What I said was that if you, the (any)user, wants to do
really, really strange things that the user should know more about Linux
than how to tie his shoes strings.

When I started with Linux 'docs' was a joke. Man pages was just about the
same. GUI configuration applications? What are those? Files, most of
which, are done 'for you' now had to be done by hand during the
installation or in text editors later. Firewalls. Port sentries. Lan
connections. Almost everything had to be done by hand.

Which took - OH MY $deity - reading and more than 'click here dummy or
accept the default'.

The *MAIN* fault with Windows is the 'user is root' situation. You want
that for Linux? Do you really want someone who thinks that a harddrive is
that 'big box on my desk that all of this stuff is connected to' to have
kill it in one shot abilities?

Really? Then Linux is doomed to follow the same path. When 'you' make
Linux just like that - that is when the masses will/might convert to
Linux. That will be when the guy in Russia starts writing the really kool
screen saver that the dummy you enticed to try Linux downloads. The on
that contacts the first major Linux Trojan/virus/ crap.

I hope not.
--

  David