Root login in rawhide and display managers

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Thu Sep 20 08:06:13 UTC 2007

David Boles wrote:
> on 9/19/2007 6:09 PM, � wrote:

>>> I have watched this thread since the beginning and I can no longer keep my
>>> peace.
>>>
>>> A knowledgeable Linux user would know how to change this default. Or
>>> figure out how to change. I know how and I am certainly not on the level
>>> of many here.
>>>

>> True so he know he can simply <ctrl><alt>F1 and take it from there...
>>

>>> A 'not so knowledgeable Linux user' would use the 'enter Roots password'
>>> windows to preform these tasks.
>>>

>> And if the user manage to shoot himself in the foot so he cant login
>> using his username and password how is he gonna manage to get to his
>> "enter the root password dialog"....
>>

>>> Any user that can not do either of these things *does not* have any
>>> business logging in as root in a GUI. Period.
>>>
>> Wrong he has a fighting chance to save himself log into familiar
>> surroundings fix the situation with S-C-* tools, learn from his mistake
>> instead of have to do clean install or bother advanced users given that they
>> are some where around him.
>>
>> The alternitive "dropping him to terminal window" were he would be dead in
>> the water...
>>

>>> Or do you want Fedora 8 to be like Windows?
>>>
>> No...
>>

>>> Where 'run as root' is the
>>> default for the 'not so knowledgeable Windows user'?
>>>
>> Last time I used M$ windows it made dam sure that the user could harm
>> the system ( windows it self ) and question every other move he did..

s/could/could\ not/
>> Maybe Windows is actually trusting user today but I doubt it...
>>

>>> You want them to be
>>> able to shoot themselves in the foot?
>>>
>> Yes. the users will learn from there mistakes, adopt,evolve and move on..
>>
>> Let's place the trust on the user always.
>>

>>> I hope not.
>>>
>>> Want to use Linux, be a Linux Geek, so to speak? Learn a little more about
>>> it first. More than downloading an ISO and burning it it Windows.
>>>
>> Nope get the user first into linux as hazle free and comfortable as
>> possible...
>>
>> >From there he will start using, playing, fiddle around *expanding his
>> knowledge about linux. etc..
>>

> Well as soon as Linux can play Oblivion, Solder of Fortune, Half-Life, and
> the so many other Windows games you will get a *lot* of 'new Linux users'
> from Windows. Just as ignorant as you are looking for here.

There is nothing preventing games ( except maybe graphics driver, but
that in fast process of changing due to AMD/ATI open up
their drivers pouring some work in with help of others and fix the ATI
driver...
It *seems* NVIDIA is putting more efforts their drivers to answer ATI so
my predection on that are we will ( have actually been with AMD/ATI ) be
seeing
some fast improvements on graphics driver in not so distant future..) in
to be played on linux...
and has not been for  quite some  time...

Those who want to play games on Linux
http://www.transgaming.com/
Wine

Games have even been develope for Linux
Rememberg Lokigames!!!

> I give up. Logical thinking does not work when dealing with zealots. But I
> still think that you are wrong. No default GUI root logins.

The ideal solution has already been mention.
Default gui root login turned off, user gets an option in
GDM/KDM/XDM/rest-of-DM to enable
root login ( user tries to login as root get hinted to go to option
where he can enable root login, types the root password,
root gui login is now enabled, logs in as root to an stripped down
administrative version of the gui AKA safe mode...

Best regards
             Johann B.

--

Johann B. Gudmundsson. RHCE,CCSA
Unix System Engineer.
Taeknigardi, Dunhaga 5.			Email:		johannbg at hi.is
IS-107 Reykjavik.			Phone:		+354-525-4267
Iceland.				  Fax:		+354-552-8801