Root login in rawhide and display managers

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Thu Sep 20 08:47:29 UTC 2007

David Boles wrote:
> on 9/19/2007 5:43 PM, Richi Plana wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 17:06 -0400, David Boles wrote:
>>
>>> Want to use Linux, be a Linux Geek, so to speak? Learn a little more about
>>> it first. More than downloading an ISO and burning it it Windows. I did
>>> that years ago. How about you?
>>>
>> Now that's not a nice mentality.
>>
>> I'm a self-professed computer geek, but it's my opinion that a person
>> should be good at what they aim to accomplish. If they mean to write a
>> great essay on a wordprocessor on Linux, then they don't need to be
>> proficient with Linux. Just writing. OTOH, if you want to be a Linux
>> machines system administrator, then that person should damn well know
>> what the heck is going on under the hood of their machine (as opposed to
>> just button-clicking). Even with grammar-correction, writers should know
>> well the rules of grammar.
>>
>> The beauty in Linux is that as the software matures, people find
>> themselves being more productive in whatever goal they set themselves
>> out to use a computer for. Hopefully, it might even allow them to be
>> creative about it in ways that weren't open to them before using Linux.
>> (That's how I got hooked on code reusability and the Unix philosophy.)
>>

> I did *not* say that you needed to be a 'geek' to use Linux for common
> everyday tasks. What I said was that if you, the (any)user, wants to do
> really, really strange things that the user should know more about Linux
> than how to tie his shoes strings.

No just to start to buy a loot of books about linux and read the wealth
of information
about linux before you start using it...

> When I started with Linux 'docs' was a joke. Man pages was just about the
> same. GUI configuration applications? What are those? Files, most of
> which, are done 'for you' now had to be done by hand during the
> installation or in text editors later. Firewalls. Port sentries. Lan
> connections. Almost everything had to be done by hand.
>
> Which took - OH MY $deity - reading and more than 'click here dummy or
> accept the default'.

Oh the good old days :) We have come a long way since then..
> The *MAIN* fault with Windows is the 'user is root' situation. You want
> that for Linux? Do you really want someone who thinks that a harddrive is
> that 'big box on my desk that all of this stuff is connected to' to have
> kill it in one shot abilities?

If the user is *chrooted* to his home directory and what he does cant
affect the system or
other users, then hell yeah.. he should have the power to shoot himself
in the "foot"
or commit otherwize user suicide...

> Really? Then Linux is doomed to follow the same path. When 'you' make
> Linux just like that - that is when the masses will/might convert to
> Linux.
Where have you been fella, the masses have already started to use GNU/Linux
The number are increasing  by the day...

Welcome to the OpenSource Revolution....
( We have to start creating T-Shirts and come up with some really cool
songs and slogans. )
( Any one open/up for the task to write an OpenSource musical :) ..  )

> That will be when the guy in Russia starts writing the really kool
> screen saver that the dummy you enticed to try Linux downloads. The on
> that contacts the first major Linux Trojan/virus/ crap.
>
> I hope not.

As long as it affect the user and only the user then it does not matter...

Best regards
                Johann B.

--

Johann B. Gudmundsson. RHCE,CCSA
Unix System Engineer.
Taeknigardi, Dunhaga 5.			Email:		johannbg at hi.is
IS-107 Reykjavik.			Phone:		+354-525-4267
Iceland.				  Fax:		+354-552-8801