Proposed changes to F8 Freeze Process

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Sep 20 17:26:52 UTC 2007

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 13:19:53 -0400
Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:

> 3) CHANGE: Prior to Final Freeze (October 17th) devel/ CVS branch will
> build into dist-f8.  Some package maintainers will want to begin
> building packages with risky changes (ABI, new features, etc.) in
> preparation for F9.  At their option they may request per-package CVS
> branch to F-8/ so they may do so without risking F-8 stability.  Then
> devel/ can be used to target dist-f9.

To clarify.  We will be making Makefile.common a bit smarter so that
when you request a tag or a build from the devel/ branch, it will check
for the existence of an F-8/ branch in CVS for that package.  If one
exists, the dist tag and build target will be for Fedora 9.  If no
branch exists, the dist tag and build target will be for Fedora 8.
This allows packages that aren't ready to branch yet to continue using
devel, so that when it /is/ branched, history will follow over and all
the tags will be on the right branches.

--
Jesse Keating