[RFC] /var versus /srv

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Fri Sep 21 09:37:46 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 11:39:49PM -0400, Casey Dahlin wrote:
> Fedora has had the /srv directory in its default configuration for
> awhile now, and I think its high time we used it. Under the latest FHS
> specifications this is the correct place for /var/www and /var/ftp/pub
> and the like.

I disagree. It is also impossible for a distribution to use /srv for anything
because

"Distributions must take care not to remove locally placed files in these directories without administrator permission."

Which would cause updates to fail. Very simply "/srv" is a mistake in the FHS
spec and treated as that by pretty much everyone on the planet.