[RFC] /var versus /srv

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Fri Sep 21 14:26:20 UTC 2007

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:56:01 -0400
Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:51:55 -0400
> seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
> > that's fine by me - but I don't think removing /srv from filesystem
> > pkg makes any sense.
>
> Doesn't make sense to me either, I hope I didn't sound otherwise.
>
> +1 to keeping /srv
> -1 to allowing any package to put any content in /srv

Whether or not you agree with the FHS, it does make some useful points.  Following it as a recommendation or guideline seems like the best idea.

I've viewed /srv as another /usr/local, but without a vendor-provided directory structure.  Other than it existing as a top level directory, we shouldn't do anything with it.  The only argument I can see to that is where do we stop we top level provided directories?  I think /srv is reasonable as an example and admins can take it from there.  Packages shouldn't dump anything in there.

On another note, could we please stop the +1 and -1 garbage replies to people?  Just say you agree or disagree.  Where did the +1 and -1 trend come from because it's really freaking annoying.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com>
Red Hat / Westford, MA