Root login in rawhide and display managers

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 15:33:53 UTC 2007

on 9/21/2007 10:23 AM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> David Boles wrote:
>> on 9/20/2007 3:11 AM, Rudolf Kastl wrote:
>> You should have looked a little harder before you jumped to defend Windows
>> games for Linux.  ;-)
>>
>> I mentioned those games only because they came to mind late at night.
>> Those are all old, by gaming standards very old, games. SOF is from 2000
>> for example and basically abandoned. It will run because it is OpenGL and
>> could be ported. Oblivion and Half-Life are written 'in' DirectX. Those
>> would not, and many others I would think, run in Wine. Ever. Nor will they
>> run in VMware.
>>

> Half-Life (and friends) has an OpenGL renderer and has worked for ages
> in Linux using wine. Half-Life 2 and Oblivion are DirectX only but do
> work somewhat in wine (have some rendering glitches, water reflections
> can be odd, performance is decreased).
>
> Both run very well in Cedega, including copy protection. As do a slew of
> other modern games. It still isn't at the point where you can grab any
> game off the shelf and have it work but I've got a large stack of games
> that say you're wrong that DirectX games will never, ever be playable on
> Linux.

I don't play games myself but there is someone on this list that I know
and will not name (if he wishes he can say) who is a Fedora user that has
two siblings that are Windows only because of the games. Games are closed
source and the executables that you can use to run some of them in Linux
are closed source and supplied by the game developers. They are not
developed by Linux developers.

I was thinking of Half-Life II actually. My point is that real Windows
like game performance will be a long time coming to Linux. If ever. And
since some (estimated) 90% of the computers use Windows in some form or
another I don't see game producers doing much with Linux. No money in it.

This thread has really drifted OT from the Subject:

To say it once more.

I think it is a good thing to *not* allow, by default, root GUI logins.
Those that want to do that can enable it. Those that can not figure out
how to enable it probably should not be doing it anyway.
--

  David