yum pulling in 386 packages

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 00:14:42 UTC 2007

On 9/22/07, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 07:44:19PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > There isn't a bug here.Yum is doing exactly what it says to do. If steve
> > wants an x86_64-pure system then in order to avoid obsoletes coming in
> > like this he needs to add an exclude.
>
> The problem comes in when people want a mostly-pure system. The current
> infrastructure isn't designed to handle that.
>
> There's a simple plugin in yum-utils to work towards this behavior, but it
> needs a lot of work. People who are interested in this should work on it.
> (yum-basearchonly).

I am now just starting to administer x86_64 arch boxen and not finding
much info (or rather a lot of very sparce info) after Googling around
on what the pros and cons are of having a "pure" x86_64 system vs.
installing a mix with i?86 packages. So while yum is blameless here, I
thought that the package obsoletes were the bug here. Or is the only
con here wasted disk space?

/Mike