yum update so slow

Jochen Schlick jochen.schlick at comsoft.de
Mon Sep 24 09:45:10 UTC 2007

Hi, I have a laptop where rawhide is installed since the days
of Fedora Core 1. It has only 256MB ram so updating using yum
was always like a lame duck but nowadays it's really a crap.

Last friday the yum update process crashed when yum wants
to update the rpm library package. At least the line with the rpm
package was the last one displayed before the laptop was dead.
After reboot I had to overwrite some corrupted rpmlibs from an
other rawhide system - ok shit happens sometimes - to get rpm
work again - I verified this by installing some glibc/kde-rpms
via rpm directly yesterday.
After a clean reboot and stopping all services (to save ram) I
tried a new update via yum yesterday evening .....

  -- dependency resolving was successful - after 30 minutes
  -- then yum displays that it wants to pull 300 Meg (~70 packages)
  -- after pressing "y" nothing more or less visible happens
     for at least two hours.
  -- and now, this morning after eight hours: 2 packages updated
     (and a glibc error message about a double free...)
  -- with this update "speed" I will have an "up to date" system
     in 12 days... :-(

best regards