yum pulling in 386 packages

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Sep 24 14:25:34 UTC 2007

> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:41:12 +0100
> David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
>
> > OK, so how do we fix it? I _thought_ that the best option was what I'd
> > already done -- file individual enhancement requests as part of a
> > coherent plan to get us to a better place. But you don't like those.
> > So what now?
>
> I've been planning for some time now a get together of sorts in person
> to hash this out.  The basic idea I'm thinking of is a runtime
> configuration in yum that lets you adhere to whatever multilib strategy
> you want on that particular system.  You point at both full repos and
> let yum figure out, based on requested strategy, what to do on
> install/update/obsolete/whatever actions.  Composing exploaded repos is
> easy, no cross pollination.  Composing DVDs is easy (but bloaty) you
> just put both repos in whole on the media (or opt out of the secondary
> arch all together on the media).
>
> My plan for the get together is to hash out what each of these
> strategies are, get out and understood why we're at where we are at
> today (I'm told time and time again that there are real good
> reasons...),

There are reasons, certainly. I'm not sure all of them are _good_
reasons :)

One of the reasons I see for the 'install both' strategy is the lack of
arch-specific dependencies in RPM.

I tried building evolution.ppc64 recently, having purged my system of
all ppc64 userspace. It was not fun, because the BuildRequires were all
satisfied by the existence of the 32-bit packages, which weren't
actually what was needed. But as I said, there's a bug on the tracker
for that one too. "Just Install Everything" isn't really a good
workaround, although it does work.

> I wanted to do this near the time that F9 development starts, unknown
> if it will happen or not.

Who do we need that isn't based around Boston? I seem to spend half my
life on planes at the moment, and come through Boston relatively
frequently. Should I just try to give you a bit of warning each time I
fly in, to see if we can all find some time?

I should probably be out there next week or so, hopefully.

--
dwmw2