Wireless and D-Bus problems with latest rawhide?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Sep 24 15:18:06 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 14:06 +0100, Andy Green wrote:
> > On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 13:41:07 +0100
> > Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Not sure one should blame iwl3945 for this.  I updated a friend's
> >> machine to development yesterday, on rt73usb.  Development
> >> wpa_supplicant crapped out during initscripts with a dbus error (dbus
> >> doesn't seem to get started until ordinal 26 in the initscripts?).
> >> NetworkManager was completely unable to authenticate to a WPA AP.  I

I've been able to do WPA[2]-PSK without problems so far; at the moment
the applet will only accept the hex key for WEP and WPA-PSK.  Also
adding "-ddd" to the end of the Exec= line
in /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/fi.epitest.hostap.WPASupplicant and
restarting should put a wealth of debugging information
in /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log which is very useful in these situations.

> >> downgraded NetworkManage and wpa_supplicant to the F7 versions and it
> >> worked as usual.
> >
> > I think that uses the same underlying wifi stack as the iwl3945.
> > Regardless we're fixing this bugs as fast as we can as they come up.
> > Each new day's NetworkManager should improve upon the last.
>
> Just adding my experience wrt iwl3945 getting the blame.  I don't think
> mac80211 should get the blame either since I didn't change the kernel
> during this.

rt2500usb (which uses mac80211) has been working pretty well for me so
far this week; but this is again hugely driver dependent.  People with
iwlwifi have not been so lucky for some reason.  I still don't consider
mac80211 "stable" given the quirks we've seen with it and the ongoing
heavy development upstream.

Dan