Please modify your OpenGL using games to use opengl-games-utils

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Tue Sep 25 16:41:26 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 17:50 +0530, Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray wrote:
> > I wonder if it makes any sense to include OpenGL games in such a Games
> > Live DVD, that does not provide <beep> drivers.
>
> Why not? OpenGL games run on GPUs for which one has free software
> drivers. eg., Intel. Thus one can use such a LiveCD to check the
> availability and quality of graphics drivers and hardware before
> buying a new computer.

One worry I have is that there are a lot of hardware out there with
(currently) unsupported video cards and, in this case, first impressions
matter. If someone new to Fedora or linux gives it a try and can't even
get a single OpenGL-accelerated game running, that could do more harm
than good.

Of course, there's really nothing we can do about it at this point, but
I was wondering if there was a better way to mitigate the problem (like
add instructions on the error dialog for getting the needed drivers in
as few steps as possible).

Otherwise you may as well call the release
3D-Games-For-Intel-and-other-open-source-friendly-hardware-vendors
Release.
--

Richi Plana