Please modify your OpenGL using games to use opengl-games-utils

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 16:55:19 UTC 2007

On 9/25/07, Richi Plana <myfedora at richip.dhs.org> wrote:
> Of course, there's really nothing we can do about it at this point, but
> I was wondering if there was a better way to mitigate the problem (like
> add instructions on the error dialog for getting the needed drivers in
> as few steps as possible).

1) This tool is meant to help people running the Games LiveCD... no
way to install more drivers while in live mode.

2) No.. as a project we will not be handing out explicit instructions
on how to install 3rd party binary video drivers via a client dialog.

> Otherwise you may as well call the release
> 3D-Games-For-Intel-and-other-open-source-friendly-hardware-vendors
> Release.

And that is the WHOLE point. This is what Fedora IS, as a project it
is focused completely and utterly on the open source software stack.
We aren't sugar coating it or hiding the fact that video driver
coverage is a problem, by slipping users proprietary pills. Video
driver coverage IS a problem, its a problem that needs to be stressed
and not covered over in a very shallow and vain attempt to boost our
distribution numbers by sneaking in addon drivers we don't support as
a project.

As the information being churned out of the AMD/ATI spec releases
start to get churned into open driver development, something like
opengl intensive livecd makes a lot of sense to me as a tool to help
users who care about open source to make better hardware purchasing
choices.

-jef"please tell me the wrapper script dialog is disablable so users
who want to play with 3 fps video can do so..even in a livecd
install"spaleta