[RFC] /var versus /srv

Kelly lightsolphoenix at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 01:51:45 UTC 2007

On Wednesday, September 26, 2007 6:19:20 pm John Dennis wrote:
> Richi Plana wrote:
> > If there's any interest, I could make spec files (based off of the
> > latest SRPM) for one of these packages to move the data directory
> > from /var to /srv. Just let me know which packages you find interesting
> > and I'll submit the spec file to the package maintainer (or here if
> > Fedora doesn't want to move it).
>
> Hold on there partner :-) In the case of mailman (and many other
> packages) you can't just move things around without updating the selinux
> policy in lock step. Then there's the issue of breaking all the scripts
> out in the field which think they know where files are located, you're
> going to ruffle a lot of feathers if you move things without a big prior
> announcement

Nah, just do what they did in openSUSE when the decision was made to move the
Gnome stuff from the /opt folder to the /usr folder - have "compat" packages
that create symlinks to the old locations, so that if the user has scripts
that assume the stuff's still located in /var, they will still work properly.
I'm not entirely sure how well this would work with SELinux, though.