Fedora spin from RpmFusion

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Fri Sep 28 12:25:51 UTC 2007

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 12:20:09 +0000
"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at hi.is> wrote:

> Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:57:08 +0000
> > ""Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"" <johannbg at hi.is> wrote:
> >

> >> With strictly the media support ( ugly-plugins etc. ) and the
> >> rpmfusion repo installed,
> >> and excluding AMD and Nvidia drivers
> >> will we need Rename the spin or could it be released under Fedora name
> >> and artwork? * Legal/others
> >>

> > No.  You are including content that is not in Fedora, therefor you
> > cannot use the Fedora trademark and cannot use the trademarked logos.
> > You would have some renaming work ahead of you.
> >

> I guessed so.. and replacing the artwork as well right?

Yes.

> But would I still be allowed to update and use Fedora repos right?

You could have the spin pull from the Fedora repos for things, yes.

> As in how deep would I need to go in renaming things?
> Removing every image containing the Fedora logo and every instance of
> the word Fedora.
> Repackage?

I'm not sure but it wouldn't be trivial.

> >> Will this be available on fedoraprojects.org as in
> >> will Max Spevack put his money where is mouth is so I quote Max
> >> "So go forth and mix your own Fedora. And then come back and share it
> >> with us, and we’ll put it up on the _*Fedora website for others to
> >> use also.*_"
> >> ref. ( http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/05/31/remixing-fedora-7/ )
> >> Or was this just a pr c...
> >>

> > Remix implies that you take the package set and do something
> > interesting with it, not just add a bunch of stuff from outside
> > Fedora.  Furthermore, regardless of location, Fedora isn't interested
> > in patent encumbered software, as it's not free for /everybody/.  It's
> > entirely uninteresting to promote such a thing.
> >

> Mean what are the exact issue with for example libdvdcss ? licenced GPL

Doesn't matter what the license is if the techniques are patented.

> In other words for me do get my spin hosted on fedora project I can only
> play
> with fedora packages in fedora repo and how *my* setup is aka spin correct?
>
> As in  my spins do not include Emacs because Emacs sucks as an editor
> compared to Vi..
>
> No offense Emacs users this was just an example...

Right.  To make it simple, you can't include any packages outside of
the Fedora repos if you want to call it Fedora.

> >> It would be interesting download stats Fedora VS Fedora with media
> >> support :)
> >>

> > Not really.
> >
> For me it it would.
>
> Would it increase the usage of Fedora?

No.  It has the potential to increase the usage of whatever you call
it, which won't be Fedora.

> Also would like to see what would be the next issue if the media problem
> would
> go away from user perspective.
>
> ( As in the user didn't have to bother to take some extra steps him self
> work out of the box kinda thing. )

That would be interesting, sure.  But it's not really applicable to
Fedora since the "media problem" isn't something Fedora can simply
solve.

josh