/etc/hosts and system entries

Alexander Boström abo at kth.se
Fri Sep 28 13:43:42 UTC 2007

tor 2007-09-27 klockan 13:00 -0400 skrev Adam Jackson:

> Why is this not a bug in kerberos?  If the application knows that the
> IP
> address it wants for the name needs to be globally routable, then the
> application should be responsible for walking the list of IPs for that
> name to find the routable ones.

While I do believe Kerberos protocols, libs or apps should be smarter
about these things sometimes and I'm not sure what really happens here
(though I've seen this happen a few times) I really do think Kerberos is
in its right to complain when it's fed lies. If you put the hostname on
the 127.0.0.1 line, doesn't that override everything DNS says?

I always remove that entry from /etc/hosts after installation.

/abo