NetworkManager-0.7 can't make new wireless connection

Tom London selinux at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 17:24:26 UTC 2007

On 9/28/07, Matthew Saltzman <mjs at clemson.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 06:34 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 07:28:43 -0700
> > "Tom London" <selinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Progress!
> > >
> > > This issue known?
> >

> > The second connection attempt issue looks more like kernel iwl3945
> > issues.  Today's rawhide kernel may improve things.
>
> kernel-2.6.23-0.211.rc8.git2.fc8 does not solve my iwl3945 issue, which
> is that nm-applet pulldown menu shows all options related to wireless
> are grayed out.
>
> Also have NetworkManager*-0.7.0-0.3.svn2907.fc8 and
> wpa_supplicant-0.5.7-9.fc8.

Running kernel-2.6.23-0.213.rc8.git2.fc8 seems to work better for me:
nm-applet seems to work (except it still is initially displayed with
the red 'x'), I can select a WPA network and enter hex key generated
by wpa_passphrase, the right 'stuff' gets stored in my keyring, etc.

My Thinkpad X60 also has iwl3945, so I'm not sure what is different
(do your networks broadcast their SSIDs?)

I can alternate between wired and wireless without issue.

Great progress!

One issue:  'Connect to other wireless network' and 'Create new
wireless network' menu items are grayed out.  I'm guessing that will
make it hard to connect to networks that don't broadcast  SSIDs.

tom
--
Tom London