Fedora spin from RpmFusion

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri Sep 28 18:14:53 UTC 2007

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> Mike McGrath wrote:
>>
>> Here's the current process.  We're still working out the process but
>> nothing has been approved yet (we just got this page up there
>> yesterday afternoon)
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/CustomSpins

Snip
> Ok so let's take it step by step from the normal user...

What can I say dude, it takes commitment.  If someone wants to spend 5
minutes to build an image and hand it off to us... we're not interested.

> Since the user is restricted to "Fedora ways" and the outcome can
> always be calculated you can take md5 some or some other thing of each
> package(s) + that with another package(s) store all the
> possible variation in a database, create a spins,  Create a spin dump
> directory on the web server. let the user have an FC account which
> they have to authenticate against and
> after log in aka in their fedora account, there would be an option to
> upload an spin.
> When they are gonna upload a spin,  they are asked to put an
> description of the spin(s) and the sum of the spin packages which is
> then match  to the all possible sums in the database and voila.
> Release engingeers can focus on their work, users dont have go through
> "reviews" to be approved.. everybody is happy  or as they can be (
> except of no media support in their spins )..
>
> Think more then 1 user people  how  where  you gonna handle 10000 of
> spins,
> or this being develop of not being used and popular...
> ***sight***

You've forgotten to take in to consideration brand dilution.  I can't
imagine a scenario where Fedora is officially hosting 10,000 spins for a
single release.  It's not the way I envision it (Not that what I say is
the way it is, feel free to take a 10,000 spin proposal to the FAB but I
think you'll find its not practical).  Getting a spin hosted by Fedora
should be a process that takes Fedora's image into account which is why
there is a Trademark check by the board.  If they decide that the spin
is bad for Fedora's image or they have decided we've gotten spin crazy
they'll put a stop to it.  The re-spins are supposed to be quality,
compelling spins.  Not some silly crap that $RANDOM_STUDENT made for a
class that he'll forget all about after the class is done.

The way I see it is that SIG's in Fedora can create their own spin if
they feel its needed.  I doubt there will be too many "look what _I_
did" spins at spins.fedoraproject.org if any.  I'd think it should be
"look at what _we_ did".  Being in the Infrastructure group we see a lot
of "Wouldn't it be cool if?  Here, now you host and maintain it."  Which
just doesn't scale / work and is very annoying.

This is especially true since people, dedicated people, could create
their own spin and host it themselves.

    -Mike