Fedora Live CD unwritable on CDs

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 28 22:00:11 UTC 2007

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 03:09:06AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>  everybody who has a x86_64 box would also have a DVD drive anyway but
>> the number of people who have been asking for this seems to make that
>> assumption ineffective.
>
> You still get laptops with 64bit and without DVD drives but with CD-RW. When
> the thinkpad exploded thats exactly what I got. So this isn't even an
> "old machine" issue - its true now, today and it is causing people to switch
> or pick other distributions in the confusion (they LiveCD CD install needs
> explaining too and I firmly believe we should go back to rolling a CD set)

The confusion part is very true. You can just go back read the months of
discussions in fedora-list after Fedora 7 release to realize that but I
don't think anybody making the decision is even subscribed to the user
list or watching the forums which helps in sticking to the flawed
assumption.

Either drop multilib by default or reduce the size of x86 image even
further so that x86_64 even with multilib will fit into a CD (without
overburn or anything fancy).

Rahul