Fedora spin from RpmFusion

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson johannbg at hi.is
Fri Sep 28 23:32:06 UTC 2007

> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>  >
>>(The following really has been asked and answered in numerous times
>>before...)
>

> But technology and published legal guidelines change...
>

>>> C. An respin with no affiliation with Red Hat/Fedora is made that
>>> include
>>>    the "questionable packages and repos" and the user does not have to
>>>    do any work from his half ( work out of the box solution )
>>
>> If this is done, it should be rebranded and not called Fedora.
>

> 'should' is one of those words...
>
> By my reading of the current trademark guidelines (before they
> disappeared from
>
> http://rhold.fedoraproject.org/About/legal/trademarks/guidelines/
>
> it is totally possible (with a little initrd guru-dom) to repackage the
> fedora-8-livecd iso (other isos too, but I'll use this as an example),
> such that mp3 and rpmfusion(or other arbitrary repos) work 'out of the
> box'.
>
> Just make a new iso, that contains the old iso as is, with a new initrd
> and bootloader, that present the user with two choices-
>
> a) "boot the official unmodified fedora-8-live image"
>
> or
>
> b) "boot the official fedora-8-live image, patched with mp3 support and
> software repository configuration that the fedora organization does not
> support or condone in any way"

Now that is an viable userfriendly solution if allowed :)

>>> Software that is/has been developed that can be misused to break "laws"
>>> tho it's initial creation and function of the software was never
>>> indented
>>> to do so will never be included in Red Hat/Fedora
>>> ( Even tho that package is gpl and source is made publicly available )
>>> made available, in Red Hat/Fedora
>>>
>>> Just so things can be settled..
>>
>> If the software is infringing patents, it cannot be included regardless
>> of it's copyright license.
>
> Given that the fedora trademark guidelines allow the above (seriously
> they do, I was very surprised when I read them myself), and given that
> some individuals and organizations may live in different countries, or
> have lawyers that come to different conclusions about what laws their
> country permits, I think the above should make everyone happy.
IF allowed +1

> No, such software compositions as described above would not be hosted by
> fedora, but hey, that's what bittorrent is for...
Is int use and hence bittorent becoming illegal now days even tho it's
creater never for saw or at least "publicly addmited" to have seen it be
misused and used to distribute illegal content ( guess the same thing goes
with car manufactures and transporting and distributing drugs ) :)

> -dmc

Best regards
            Johann B.