Fedora spin from RpmFusion

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Sun Sep 30 00:52:14 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
>
>> The guidelines were specifically designed so that someone could ship
>> stock Fedora and an additional repository of vendor packages, whether
>> it be Dell addons, Creative Commons content or whatever.
>> If those guidelines are followed, then, without actually changing the
>> guidelines, it doesn't really matter what that content/packages are.
>
> That is indeed my implicit question. Do you still want vendors to ship
> software not included in Fedora and still call it Fedora?

Nobody currently gets to call anything "Fedora" that isn't a very
specific set of bits that are originally and solely shipped by the
fedora project.

What they get to do, is take those bits as a whole, not modify them in
any way whatsoever, and bundle them with other software, with the
explicit restriction that-

"
  4.

       Any marketing materials related to such a distribution make clear
that the vendor is providing patches which, if installed by the user,
will modify the Fedora™ code from its original form.
"

Is it ok for
> anyone and everyone to do so with any set of software? Does the current
> trademark guidelines match the goals of the project?

Honestly, what business is it of yours, how people distribute
*unmodified* copies of fedora?  Sure I'd love to have a legal license
which states that any free software I write, cannot be used by
governments to support in any way whatsoever an institution which
engages in 'baiting' tactics that use entrapment as justification for
murder, but I'm a realist.  Hopefully our software will save more babies
than it kills (or 'eats' is I suppose the parlance of choice...)

-dmc